Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Streamlined Gear List

I have been thinking of the best possible STREAMLINED gear kit for the trip. I am 51 years old traveling to the other side of the world. I need to streamline as much as possible. I have cut out the 60mm Leica lens, the 21mm M lens, the 210mm large format lens and the Canon 1/2 frame camera (not sure on that one as it is a small light camera).

The heaviest gear set up is the large format stuff, I need everything listed. There is no getting around what I need to shoot large format. In this large format gear set up list I will only take 1 lens the 120mm (risky).Taking one lens will force me to compose, to see with only one point of view. It will force me to really learn the lens, something I have promoted on this blog for a long time. It is something that Jock Sturges taught me.

In the streamlined look I am also taking less film. 500 sheets of 5x7 down to 400, 50 rolls of 120 down to 40, 75 rolls of 35mm down to 65.

Looking at this list makes me feel more comfortable. I am still taking lots of shit but at least it's manageable now.

Large Format 5x7 Gear
- 5x7 Linhof
- 120mm Nikon lens
- Pentax spot meter
- 10 film  holders
- Tripod
- Reflector (small round collapsible)
- 400 sheets 5x7 Tri-x
- Film changing tent (4x5 size)

Medium Format Gear
- Rolleiflex 80mm
- Close up lens (small-light pack)
- 40 rolls 120mm Tri-x

35mm Gear
- Leica R6 body 24mm f2.8
- Leica M6 body 35mm f1.4
- 65 rolls of 35mm Tri-x