Friday, August 7, 2015

Plastic Focusing Screen

I got my plastic 5x7 focusing screen from the eBay seller in Poland yesterday. I installed the screen today, it looks very nice. The screen fits snugly without any alterations, it should work great. I will run some film through the camera in the next while. I want to try the same shot I will in Asia, Linhof 5x7 with the new plastic screen, the 120mm f8 Nikon and the new Gitzo carbon fibre tripod with center post. I need to also test if I can do the portraits using the existing back of the Linhof or if I need to lug around a dark cloth.

With this new plastic screen I do not have to worry about the ground glass breaking when I take it on difficult journeys, planes, buses, taxis and motorcycles. I think this plastic focusing screen is a bit lighter than the 2 5x7 ground glasses I have. I will also not need to carry a back up.

The screen looks pretty bright, we will have to see how it handles in the field. Will post some photos in the coming days.