Monday, August 24, 2015

My New Leica 24mm F2.8 R Lens

Got my new Leica 24mm f2.8 R lens today in the mail. No extra charges so that was good. I paid $450 USD lens which was the cheapest price on eBay. The lens is in great shape, the lens hood also. I am not that happy with the 2.8 speed of the lens (my Canon digi 24mm lens is a 1.4) but we can work with it. Leica lens are world classs pieces of glass, I am sure this will make great pictures. One other benefit of the R versus M series lens is that because it is an SLR lens you can focus closer. With this 24mm I can focus down to 11 inches, pretty good!

The only only issue is a stiffness in the focusing which I knew about before I bought the 24mm. I will eventually send this lens in with my 60mm which has a similar problem for a CLA, both should focus smooth and easy after that. The stiffness of focus is not that big of an issue, I should be able to work with it. I will shoot this lens this coming trip and maybe the next as it is. I plan on shipping it in for a CLA mid 2016.

Here is are a few shots of the lens mounted to my black R6 body (have another one of these bodies being shipped to me).

Note* I have a used B&W protective UV filter on order for this lens. The 24mm lens hood also fits my 60mm. Not sure it will provide that much protection thou. I will probably have to buy the 60mm lens hood at some point. Also need to buy filter and lens hoods for the other 2 Leica lens I have in the mail, the 35mm f2.8 and the 28-70 f3.5-4.5 zoom.

Leica R6 body (taped) with 24mm f2.8 R lens