Saturday, August 8, 2015

Motorbike Difficulties?

I plan on renting a motorbike in Mae Sot and traveling the countryside and to the dump to make photographs. Driving a bike in Thailand is already fairly dangerous, to do it with a bunch of camera gear for long period of time each day for up to a month or longer, 30+ days in a row could prove problematic.

Not sure how difficult it will be to drive a motorbike on Thai roads while wearing a heavy knapsack, have a view camera mounted on the tripod between my legs and food donations in 2 bags for my subjects. It will probably be very hard to do and most likely dangerous.

I need to do this motorbike thing carefully and slowly especially at first. Maybe for the first week on the bike as I can get used to everything. I will only travel with a lighter camera bag holding only my 3 Leica's and my Rolleiflex. Later when I get more confidence I can start carrying the 5x7 Linhof, large tripod and everything else.

Been doing some google searches on motorbike rentals in Mae Sot. The price I came up with is around $10 CAD or so per day. Maybe I can get a cheaper rate if I rent for 1 month straight. Going to try to bargain and get a cheaper hotel and cheaper bike rental rate based on the 1 month rental time.