Thursday, August 13, 2015

Good For Tondo

I figured out another benefit of a 24mm R lens purchase. If I go to Manila's Tondo slum (where my friend Larry has shot) in 2016 I can take the lens. Numerous people have told me that the Philippines is far more dangerous than Thailand, especially Tondo slum. Larry when he visited Tondo went with an NGO guide who told him where to go and where not to go for safety reasons. I will be traveling as usual by myself, without guides, completely on my own. How best to protect myself from robberies?

If I go to Tondo I think taking $3000 lens like the 35mm f1.4 M might be a mistake, the 28mm f2 is around $2000, the Leica bodies $1000 a piece. I might be carrying $10 000 worth of equipment that is a lot of change to take into a dangerous slum where there is a chance you could get robbed. I think if I do go there I will restrict myself to the R equipment, 2 Leica R6 camera bodies, the 60mm f2.8 and the 24mm f2.8. The total cost of the R outfit is around is $1500-$2000, still a good chunk of change but something I would much rather lose in a robbery than my beautiful 35mm f1.4 M. I would still have the capability to make great photos with great glass, using very reliable tools. And if I get robbed? So be it! I will give up the gear and buy new/used stuff when I get home. I just hope the robbery takes place at the end of my trip not the beginning so I can make lots of pictures first!!!!!

Update* I must remember to keep my exposed film in my pants pockets not my camera bag, if they steal the bag I will still have the days shot film.

Tondo Slum, Manila Phillipines photo by crystalandsam.blogspot.ca