Thursday, August 20, 2015

GX Relief

Well I got a full refund including a refund for my shipping costs back to Japan for my Rolleiflex GX. I am a bit sad to lose the camera but getting all my money back makes me feel relieved.

Comparing the GX and F camera models side by side I preferred the build and feel of the Fs, so this is not that big of a loss. The GX lens was newer, maybe coated better but that is the only major benefit I saw. I felt that the overall construction of the GX was not as good as the F, and the feel of the camera was more plasticky and cheaper. The other thing I did not like was the metering system with battery that seemed very fragile (it is what broke on mine). Another negative feature is the shutter was not as sensitive because it also engaged the meter, so took more pressure to use. The F camera shutter is smooth, easy and beautiful to use.

I can understand why the F cameras are so expensive on eBay, they are wonderful tools. I have 2 of those cameras being repaired and getting a CLA from Harry Fleenor in California. I am pretty sure they will work (might sell one) very well for me and give me years and years of reliable use, something I was unsure of with the GX.

Got all my GX worries taken care of now, no more worries there. I even got a free Rolleiflex camera strap thrown in for my troubles. Were down to 3 Rollies now, a Rolleiflex Automat (nice cheap camera) and 2 Fs which are expensive but should be great cameras for me. Glad the GX problems are behind me now.