Thursday, August 20, 2015

Link: Film Rights?

Got this email today. The video mentioned is the "Living in the Margins- Families of the Dump" show video I made of people at the dump in Mae Sot. It was used as part of the exhibition opening night here in Edmonton back in February.

I am not sure how these things work, usually production companies pay for the rights to use film, its not a freebie thing. I believe this company is a major Swedish concern, there website promotes a multi million dollar type affair.

I asked for a credit and a payment usage fee (even for a few seconds of video). Am also asking some advice of some professional friends I know here in Edmonton who are much more knowledgeable about such things than I am. If I can get some money I will make a donation to the Mae Sot garbage dump school, this could be a win win opportunity. It would be great to give back a bit more money to that community than my limited security guard savings can do.

Here is the email I received, minus the contact info to protect the privacy of the individual who contacted me.
EYE WORKS TV SWEDEN

--------------------------------------

Hi Gerry!

I work at a production company in Sweden. We are currently producing a drama-series for a channel here in Sweden. We would like to use a few seconds of yor youtube-video ”living in the margins”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJEVN8yh9Q

Can we get the rights to do this? 

best regards 

----- --------
---------------------
-------------------------
--------------------------
--------------------------
GAMLESTADSVĂ„GEN -------------
SWEDEN  |  WWW.EYEWORKS.TV