Monday, July 13, 2015

Priorities, Stay On Topic

Continuing to try to figure out my gear options for next trip. The recent photography day with mom taught me 2 things.

1) Do not carry too much gear, too many camera systems
2) The 5x7 kit weights a ton (more than I thought it would)

Now as I contemplate what I will take with me to Asia I need to figure out what my priority is? I am only going for 7 weeks so I need to focus on 1 project, 1 type of photograph and 1 subject. I need to move in that direction. My main goal for the last couple of years has been "Forgotten Laughter", the children living in poverty portrait project I want to dedicate to my late father. To that end my main concern should be how to make those photos most effectively. The 5x7 view camera is essential to those pictures so that is where it all starts and ends. I need to take all the gear related to using that camera system.

If I want to add some more gear after the 5x7 that's another thing, thou I need to take as little of that extra gear as I can. Lets stay on topic, 7 weeks is very little time, I should not try to do do much in my very limited photography window. Lets do 1 thing really well instead of 3 or 4 things poorly. It is important that I keep my vow to my father and that I tell the stories of the children in the "Forgotten Laughter" project. I need to communicate my message with clarity of vision, too much gear just confuses things. The goal is to stay on topic, stay focused and speak with a clear distinct voice.

Update* Still feeling very down about my bike theft. Did not sleep well last night as I was worrying about the cost to replace it. Thankfully last week I finally got my tax refund check, so that helps a lot. Still its all so depressing. All your trying to do is get into shape and you get screwed over. I guess I should have been smart enough not to lock up the bike in that neighbourhood. It was taken off a main road in broad daylight in less than the hours time I was away, still am amazed by that. Some kind of brazen speed thief.

I need to concentrate on photographic thoughts, I need to try and stay positive.