Saturday, July 18, 2015

New 5x7 Backpack idea

After my recent struggles lugging around the 5x7 on the mom farm trip, I have been worrying about how I could transport all this gear in the super hot/humid and difficult conditions of South East Asia. I think I might have figured out the best way to do this. I have at last count 6 different backpack variations. I think one of these backpacks that I have only used a bit in the field might be the answer. This is another example of how having lots of stuff can pay off in the end. It gives you plenty of options. You keep screwing around till you find a viable  one.

 
Lowepro back pack, 5x7 Linhoff in protective bag, Gitzo carbon fibre tripod (with centre post) and Manfrotto geared head.
The back pack contains:
- 13-5x7 holders (26 exposures total)
- Pentax spot meter
- 120mm Nikon F8 lens
- notebook, pens, cable releases, loupe
- dark cloth
- small round reflector

This bags allows for storage of all the items needed. When you carry the bag it does not seem as heavy because the weight is distributed more evenly than a shoulder bag. I should be able to carry this bag for long distances for many hours at a time. The carbon fibre Gitzo with small head will also help cut down on weight. I might end up keeping the plastic lens board on the 120mm solely for weight reasons, plastic weights less than metal.

Using this bag set up, I would carry the camera mounted to the tripod in the field. All together this is quite a lot to carry, it will still be very heavy. I like the fact that I can carry 13 holders. I might be able to throw in one of my Leica rangefinders as well (hate to be without my Leica).

Somehow the 5x7 seems feasible again. Even at 51 I should be able to carry the gear for hours in Asia. I need to continue to work on my core strength. If I can put together a strong core I should be able to support all this weight, and transport the gear on foot as needed.

Update* Thinking of getting an acrylic (plastic) ground glass to cut down on weight and also to eliminate broken ground glass issues. I would have to take 2 glass ground, glass versions with me if I went that style but I probably could get away with 1 acrylic version. In the past I have shot plastic ground glass on my 4x5 and 8x10 cameras and it has worked fine, I am assuming 5x7 would be the same. There is a guy in Poland who makes them, not sure how good (bright) they are and he wants $59 USD plus shipping so it's expensive. It is a bit of a gamble, but might be worth the try. Anything to make the 5x7 system more reliable and lighter!