Sunday, July 5, 2015

Email To A Friend, Subject Photographer Vivian Maier

L....

We both have been watching Vivian lately...I saw clips of that movie on YouTube yesterday (the whole movie is not online yet)...and have been looking at her photographs. I think I like her photography more than you do. I would not say she is an all time great but her work is strong varied and compelling. There are lots of comments on people in her photographs lots of views into their lives.

I also love the fact she did it for herself, she did not do it for fame, to get her name on a wall, for the galleries or for any other reasons...She did it just for herself, just because she had to. There is a certain beauty in that.

Your right thou her story is VERY compelling. Being a private nobody nanny with all that material hidden away is a great story. Hmm... I wonder if that compelling story thingy works with security guards as well!

Gerry

Note* The movie we were discussing is the new oscar nominated "Finding Vivian Maier".
"Finding Vivian Maier"