Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Brass Lens, Graflex Super D, Bag Mag Combo

Here are some shots of trees in sunlight I did today at dads graveyard. The light was quite beautiful and I really enjoyed composing my images in the SLR mirror of the Graflex through that big ass brass lens. The Graflex is such a joy to use it just seems so natural, so traditional, so exciting. Sometimes buying too many cameras is a bad thingy but I am so so so happy I got the Graflex, this buy could have a profound effect on my photography going forward.

The bag mag was also simple and easy to use, oh so functional and relatively light weight. 12 shots on the camera and it just takes a few seconds to shuffle through them. I could see having 3 or 4 of these in the future if I continue to shoot the Graflex. No need for traditional film holders (thou I do own 8) with this camera anymore. Bag Mag and Grafamatic holders is where it's at!

Exposures were at f5.6 and 1/60 of a second with the camera mounted on a monopod for added stability and to support the camera weight. It is much easier on the arms to carry it around with the monopod, it should also eliminate the need for a camera strap (screwing holes into the body of the Graflex!).

Development was in a Yankee tank for 10 minutes at 20C, 2/1 D-76/water, HP5 film (using up my old stock, am saving the Tri-x for Asia).

Note* I plan on trying the Graflex on a tripod soon, that is the way Paul Strand shot his 5x7 version, it might be worth a try, especially for portraiture.


Here are the scans from today.