Thursday, July 2, 2015

A Second Look

A second look at the good Rolleiflex F has been favourable. I sent the seller a message asking for a partial refund for meter plastic cover repair (not sure they will go for it). I think this camera eventually will be a very good working unit. The glass looks very nice, the camera fires at all shutters accurately to the ear/eye. The F looks a little more stout and well built as compared to my GX. I think once I get the plastic meter piece fixed and CLA the whole unit I will have a great working tool. I might get a new bright Maxwell focusing screen put in as well. This could become my working camera in places in Asia, especially the more dangerous theft prone regions. I will run a roll of film through it tonight.

The other F I received today is in rough shape, do not know what I can do with it. I might have to just sell it for what I can get, or do a major overhaul to get it working again. I cannot send it back to the seller because in the advert for the sale he mentions the camera needing maintenance. My fault, let the buyer beware!

I might be able to sell some of the Rolleiflex accessories for some doe. I have a very nice every ready case in very good condition ($60-$220 USD on eBay). I have a shitty every ready case in 4 separate pieces and I have the eye level Rollie finder ($80 USD on eBay). If I sold all those pieces I would probably get a good chunk of any CLA and repairs needed on the camera(s) back.

I love the eye level finder, outside of its weight this is a great little item to use in the field to do portraits. I doubt I would sell it. I can see using this finder with either the good F or the GX along with the close up lens I bought yesterday to do portraits in the field.

Update* Quickly shot a roll of old Agfa 400 b/w film in the good F camera. I like shooting it, it has a nice friendly feel, the shutter button is more sensitive than the GX. I also like using the eye level view finder a lot. This looks like a keeper! I need to get the meter plastic fixed and to clean and lube the camera. I hope I can get it back by November. As long as the negs are sharp and the shot spacing OK this will probably be my first choice Rolleiflex to take with me next trip.