Thursday, June 25, 2015

Preparing For Action

Spent the day getting ready for the photo meeting I am hosting. I borrowed a projector/screen from my friend Larry to show scans off my laptop. I also have a ton of framed and loose prints for members to browse through. My talk will be about my whole history in photography. It will be biographical in nature, as I talk I will show work from the corresponding time period I am speaking about.

Today I was also getting ready for my dual workshops. I have a student (Katherine) coming in from Calgary for Saturday at 1pm to do a view camera workshop. On Sunday we will do a second workshop together where she will develop and print the film she shot. Katherine is spending the night at a local hotel, she is making the most of her opportunity to learn film photography, doing a weekend of analog study. There are no similar workshops available in Calgary so she is making the 3 hour drive North, just for me. I need to do the best job I can for her. I want her to be inspired by the possibilities of film photography.

After setting up for all that activity I raced home to do a bike ride before it got too dark. Did 24kms tonight with the light fading, at a fast pace. Maybe too fast at one point as I almost got smoked by a turning car. The accident would have been 1/2 my fault 1/2 theirs. The only problem with the 50/50 fault thing is that in a bike- car accident the biker ends up dead or crippled and the car gets a dent in it. This type of thing is a no win for me. I need to be more careful in the future. I have to get into better shape but need to do it safely. It is hard to take pictures from a wheelchair!