Sunday, June 14, 2015

Link: Jock Sturges "Rollei Project"

Just realized one of the few world level photographers I know and have talked to at length did a book called the "Rollei Project". I have been bidding on a series of Rollei cameras over the last few days and came upon the "Rollei Project" Sturges book. I love the warmtone look tonality of the prints in this show.
Jock Sturges "Rollei Project" Facebook Page

Here is a bit written by Sturges and some photos from the LA show.

The Rollei Project
Jock Sturges

Photographs by Jock Sturges. "I was bemused and, to be honest, a bit skeptical when in the Spring of 2012 my friend, Duncan Meeder, proposed that I do a project with the Rolleiflex Twin Lens Reflex 6x6. Hmmm not really my format, I thought. My camera of choice for the last forty years has been and remains the 8x10 view camera. But I was flattered by Duncan's proposal because the work he proposed would accompany a beautiful, multicolored edition of the camera bearing my name. This was too good to resist -- not least of all because I knew what an illustrious history this camera has had. The instrument of choice for photographers as diverse as Diane Arbus and Vivian Maier, the Rolleiflex has been delivering brilliant results for many decades. So Duncan's proposal felt like both a nice compliment and an engaging challenge. Four months and hundreds of rolls of film later, Duncan and I sat down and edited this book. Editing books is always agonizing because of all that must be cut away to arrive at a final choice, but in this instance it was a particular trial. The Rollei had given me so many fine pictures! My technique with the 8x10 camera is necessarily deliberate and classical -- it is not exactly lightning-quick. I carried that formal method forward into this project as well, but as was agreeably surprised by how the camera took over and let me shoot with more spontaneity than ever the 8x10 allows. So the work in this book departs a bit from the solemnity that people who are kind enough to attend to my work have known up till now. As I had hoped might be the case, I learned something -- ever my ambition. This project had its origins in the notion of an adventure with a camera. But finally, if it is a success, it is because of the beauty and character lent to me by the models here depicted. They are my great wealth in the world." --Jock Sturges