Monday, June 29, 2015

Further Rolleiflex Tessar 75mm F3.5 Thoughts

I am getting to really love this camera before even shooting it for real. It has such a nice feel to it, it is small compact with supposedly an extremely sharp lens. How would you top a camera like that? No wonder I have read the reason that Rolleiflex went out of business (a few months ago) was because people were buying their older cameras not the new models. The old model Rolleiflex's are fricking awesome! Why pay so much more for a new one?

The camera is almost dainty/petite in its handling, if your fingers were too big you might have trouble using it. When you trigger the shutter it is so quiet you almost wonder if you actually did anything, was that a picture being taken? On my Rolleiflex Automat the self timer also works, thou I doubt I will use that much. It might come in handy if I forget a cable release and want to do a long exposure on a tripod, the self timer would help avoid camera shake.

When I bought this camera the listing was a bit incomplete and I also had limited knowledge of Rolleiflex history and evolution. I believe my version is a Automat Model K4A, T type Tessar 75mm f3.5. There is a T written in red letters next to the small lens glass. I believe the Tessar lens are 4 elements and my next cameras, 2 Fs and a GX are Planar 2.8s are a 6 element lens.

I am starting to like these things so much I might keep all 4 of them! Heck the amount of space they take would probably be less than 2 Mamiya C330s. Possibly 4 Rolleiflex use the same storage space as 1 3/4 Mamiya C330s.

One the thing that comes across is how small even dainty and well manufactured these cameras are. I believe the Automat series hails back to the 1951-54 (60+ year old camera) and yet everything works so well on the camera. The only thing that is a bit difficult a bit off with this camera is moving the shutter speed dial from 1/250 to 1/500, but with a little effort it can be done. The shutter speeds all sound accurate. I need to run some film through to check the sharpness and the frame spacing (some time a problem with these cameras), but so far I LOVE THE CAMERA. Plan on shooting a roll tonight, and maybe developing it tomorrow.

Update* These cameras also have a close up lens attachement that allows for tighter compositions. I plan on buying one of these units for the camera model I end up liking best. I want to do square format up close headshots in asia at the widest aperture available, either 3.5 or 2.8.

Update* Just put a roll of film through the camera, the film advance is smooth and easy, the shutter ever so quiet!
A bit bigger than a pen

Here are stats I found on my camera from the wonderful historical Rolleiclub site. It does take a Bayonet 1 lens hood and lens cap, my mistake!
Rolleiclub.com

Rolleiflex Automat 6x6 - Model K4A

Highslide JS
June 1951 - March 1954
Serials: 1.200.001 - 1.474.999

Taking Lens:
Zeiss Jena Tessar 3,5/75
Zeiss Oberkochen Opton 3,5/75
Schneider Xenar 3,5/75
All with filter Bayonet I
Finder lens:
Heidoscop Anastigmat 2,8/75mm
Bayonet I
Shutter:
Compur - Rapid, 1 - 1/500 sec., T & B, self timer. X sync.
Film: 6x6: B II 8 (120) & 35mm with Rolleikin 2 adapter set.
Film Transportation: winding lever with auto stop, no red window, film pressure plate with black color coating. Lever also cocks the shutter. Double exposure prevention.
Dimensions: 14.3x9.0x9.5cm
Weight: 970 grams.This model has a hinged dual format back with exposure guide. The special feature is a new EV related exposure scale. From serial 1.268.000 the camera accepts hand grip and quick mount plate.
Also useable with Rolleimarin 1 under water housing. Can be upgraded to larger focusing knob.