Friday, June 5, 2015

Camera: Sputnik Stereo Medium Format

Been looking for a stereo camera to play with. I know almost nothing about this old tech but the cameras are pretty cheap and everywhere on eBay. Why not get one and have some fun! This model is a 120mm Russian made camera called Sputnik. There were 3 versions of the Sputnik with multiple variations of each model. So good luck trying to figure out which are which.

The photo below is of a later LOMO model I think, which was built form 1964-74. They sell on eBay for between $100 and $200 USD. Might get one to just play with. They also have various kinds of stereo viewers for the 120mm transparency shots. I guess viewing one of the dual medium format stereo images is rather amazing. You can see the back of the camera opens up with some kind of weird swinging doors, go figure!

I have a ton of old 120mm colour slide film in my freezers I could shoot off. Even have some unopened boxed E-6 chemistry to develop the film with (if it is still good). I think there are still slide kits out there you can buy with fresh chemistry. If none of that is possible it might be fun just to run some Tri-x through these things and see what happens.
Camerapedia Info On Sputnik Stereo Camera