Friday, May 8, 2015

The Workouts, Working Out!

Well I am about 3 weeks into watching my diet and working out some. I am starting to feel some positive effects. I think my weight is down a bit and I feel a bit more nimble than I used to. I have moved from 1 chin up to 3, so that has improved. I want to eventually do 5 at a time.

My main goals in all of this are two fold. I want to lose weight and build strength and endurance to help my photography. The second goal is much simpler "Do not hurt myself!!" I am 51 years old and often what happens is older guys get too gung ho and end up damaging their bodies when they all of a sudden decide to get into shape. I need to do this slowly and carefully, make small improvements over a long period of time. I have 6 months before I return to Thailand, no use hurting myself or rushing things. Bit by bit, month by month I will slowly get into better shape. The las thing I want to do is hurt myself which could endanger my abilities to make pictures.

Here is my current routine during work week (7 nights):

1) watch my diet, few or no useless calories
2) push ups 2 sets of 20
3) sit ups 2 sets of 30
4) chin ups 3
5) 2 sets of 10 squats
6) stretching
7) doubling up my stairs each security round (every building I climb stairs in I do an extra stair climb).

That's not that much but like I said, am trying not to hurt myself. On my week offs I have been doing lots of biking, and golf. I plan on starting up swimming and general fitness rooms soon. As times the work numbers will go up. In past years (before I was so old and fat) I was doing 5 sets of 50 push ups each time, but I need to work myself back up to that number slowly.

By the time I go to Thai if I can keep things going I should be in much better shape. In Thai I always lose weight on my longer trips. If I go for 3-6 months to work on "Forgotten Laughter" by the time I come back to Canada I should be in much better shape, and at a much lower weight.