Friday, May 22, 2015

Quote: Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

Am reading and browsing the book "Toulouse-Lautrec A Retrospective" tonight at work. I have had this book in my collection for over 10 years but have not spent much time with it. I found this letter of interest. The note was sent from Lautrec to Theo Van Gogh after the death of Theo's brother Vincent.

July 21, 1890

"My dear Friend,
I received the letter with its news of your poor brother too late to go to his funeral. You know what a friend he was to me and how anxious he was to prove it. Unfortunately I can acknowledge all this only by shaking your hand cordially in front of a coffin, which I do."

Sincerely yours,
HTLautrec

The model for the painting below was one of Lautrec's lovers, artist-model Suzanne Valadon. She lead a rather fascinating, a strong independent person ahead of her time.
Suzanne Valadon

The Hangover, (The Morning After, The Drinker), 1889 Henri Toulouse-Lautrec