Friday, May 29, 2015

Old Brass Barrel Lens?

A few years back I bought an old brass barrel style lens for around $600. The lens is quite big, it is supposed to easily cover 4x5 (maybe even 8x10). I have never used this thing, why not attach it to a lens board and use it with the Graflex Super D?

Today online I found a similar set up of a brass barrel lens with a Graflex Series D camera. If this guy did it why not me? The Graflex has a focal plane shutter that operates from 1/30 to 1/1000 and also has an open setting so I should be able to make pictures with my old barrel (no shutter) lens in available light. It might be a fun thing to try with my Asian portraits, I just need to get me a wooden lens board that will work with the camera. Ebay has several types of lens board options available.

Here is the online adapted-rebuilt Graflex series D camera with brass lens:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/goyaboy/7225211852/in/photostream/

Update: I just cleaned and took a new look at my brass lens, its a 10 inch (250mm) but smaller than the one in the photos, so I think this should work size wise. I have the flange also so just need the lens board to screw it into. I am not sure about focusing or bellows extension total length with the Graflex Super D but I am hopeful this will work. If it works this will give me photo options I have never had before.

If I said it once, I said it a thousand times "Ain't Photography Grand!"