Sunday, May 31, 2015

Human Dignity And Strength

" The important thing is, you have to have something to say about the world."
Paul Strand

Looking at the work of Paul Strand again, I find so much human dignity and strength in his photographs. When I watched "The Salt of the Earth" with Larry this week it was the same thing with Salgado's work. Mary Ellen Mark also showed the beauty and power of people as did Lewis Hine and Eugene Smith.

That is what I must continue to strive to do with my photography. Show the complexities of mankint, their strengths and weaknesses. I never tire of meeting and being with people, of making their photographs and trying to tell their stories. Mankind, their lives, their humanity, that is what I must continue to photograph. I need to keep at it as long as I can.

Here is a link to a wonderful documentary on Paul Strand "Under the Dark Cloth". I have this film on DVD and have watched it several times.
"Under the Dark Cloth" Part 1