Sunday, May 3, 2015

Dad In Barred Light

Here is the photo I mentioned in the earlier blog. This is print attempt number 2. I will let the print dry overnight, see what things look like tomorrow and continue to work on the print. This print is made rather stark and contrasty, I like the feel of it. Dad had larger rounder eyes looking up at me those last few days, he knew the end was near. The high contrast and the stripped lighting highlight the feeling of an end approaching. I am glad dad got to see a 11x14 fibre version of this print before he died. The final version of this photo will be hanging in the Rosebud show in September.

One thing I always remember about this photograph was that I made it by making an extra effort. I had come in before work that day and only had 5 minutes to spend with dad. I did not bring the camera in my first time in the house but I decided to be a little late to make this picture once I saw the light and his expression. I am NEVER late for work (I hate being late) but it was much more important to make this photo of my father than to worry about work. I ran out to the car to get my camera and spent an extra 10 minutes with my father making this picture and arrived a bit late for work that day. When you make extra efforts, when you go out of your way, when you work harder than expected it usually results in a good photograph.

Today's printing session was so beautiful, spending time with my father, listening to classical music, making prints in my favourite place in the world, my darkroom.

Tech details:
- Ilford 16x20 cooltone fibre paper
- Dectol 1/1 for 3 minutes.
- Durst 1200 Condensor Enlarger
- El Nikkor 50mm lens at f4
- Agfa filter grade #3
- 45 second exposure
- Dodge left face -33 seconds
- Dodge background right -15 seconds
- Burn (card) lower blanket +20 seconds
- Mask #1 (white highlight strips) + 40 seconds
- Mask #2 (highlighted face) +20 seconds
- Flashlight burn with masking on far right highlight, 3 times with movement of mask
- Photo made with a Leica M6 and 35mm lens (?) on Tri-x at 800ASA, STAND development.

Dad in barred light print, February 2015
Detail