Sunday, May 3, 2015

Cycling In The Rain

A few hours back I got on the bike heading out to visit dad. As I got going it just started to drizzle a bit of rain. I decided to take a chance and headed out well bundled up. Twenty minutes later I was getting hit with a pretty good rain shower, droplets falling off the edge of my helmet and a windy rain blowing in my eyes. It was pretty tough sledding but I kept telling myself "It is for the photography! It is for the photography!"

Just as I arrived at the graveyard about 25 minutes into the ride the clouds broke and the sun came out. It was like dad was welcoming me in, protecting his son as he always did. I spent 10 minutes with dad, told him what had been happening, cried some and did a few photos with the 65mm 6x9 Fuji. They had flattened the dirt on dads grave, and put the flowers we left for him in the middle of the dirt, it looked quite nice. In the coming months the graveyard people will seed and grow grass over my father. The bike trip back was much easier, sunshine and no rain. I went to visit mom but she was out, probably went to Sunday dinner with my uncle and aunt.

One of the things I was reminded of today is my vow I made to my father, to do the "Forgotten Laughter" photographs (portraits of children living in poverty). That book project has to remain my priority next trip. These photographs should take several years to complete, it"s best I get started as soon as I can. I need to try to keep my promise to dad.

Totals for the day:
23.7 km
1 hour 8 minutes on the bike.