Friday, May 8, 2015

Moving To Cape Breton?

On the East coast of Canada the housing market is quite cheap in places. I have been working with a guard here in security who hails from Cape Breton Nova Scotia. The guard has been telling me about how cheap housing is there and how beautiful nature is, milder weather, open ocean, lobsters and the like. Who knows some day I might buy a place their, maybe to stay full time or to hide from the Edmonton winters. The cheaper houses are older but many are completely renovated, new plumbing, roofs, hard wood floors etc.

Check out a sample listing below. It might be fun to do landscape and portrait work in that area. I have never been to that part of Canada. Strange that I have been to Thai I think 13 times, Cambodia maybe 6 times now but I have never been to the maritime provinces in Canada my own country.

I could never give up my darkroom so will probably keep my house in Edmonton for the rest of my life but having a place down East to spend 3 or 4 months a year in might be fun. My draw is always to Thailand but maybe I should also start looking elsewhere to spend my winters.

I checked the average temps for the coldest time of the year in Cape Breton and it only drops down to an average of -8C, in Edmonton the average temps are much colder with some days going down into the -30C. If I bought something I would look for a home in a small town area of Cape Breton with an ocean view.

$52000 CAD
$55000 CAD