Friday, April 10, 2015

My 6x9 Camera's, Their ALIVE!

Just dug out my old 6x9 Fuji 690 cameras. I own 2 versions of the 6x9, the 65mm and the 90mm. I have never used the 90mm in Asia but did use the 55mm in Klong Toey slum back in 2010. The 6x9s neg dimensions are beautiful, they are the same size as a 35mm and 5x7 negative. With this ratio of neg you get a longer horizontal, a rectangle photograph.

In the past I was unhappy with the sharpness I got with 6x9 Fuji 65mm so I put the cameras aside. Recently I did some Internet searches on the Fuji 690 and many people claim the 90mm lens version is extremely sharp, one online commentator even said the lens was too sharp (if that's possible).

I have therefore decided instead of buying more gear to resurrect these cameras, run some film through them and see where that leads. I will also try to shoot pushed (800ASA) 120 Tri-x film. It would be nice to have the larger negative at times, especially for close up portrait work.

If I get sharp negs with the 6x9s (Texas 35mm), I will use one or possibly both in Asia next trip. No need to buy new gear!! I have so much old gear to rediscover! The Klong Toey slum portrait below was part of my "The Train Is Coming" exhibition at the Kaasa gallery in the Jubilee auditorium a few years back.

Both the Fuji 690 and the Leica M6 are rangefinder style cameras, allowing for low light focusing and quiet shutters (no flopping mirrors).

My 6x9 Fuji 690 with 90mm lens and my Leica M6 with 28mm lens.
Fuji 6x9 65mm (flash) part of Klong Toey slum series , Bangkok Thailand 2010