Monday, April 6, 2015

Found Money, Feel Guilty

Yesterday on the carpet of a restaurant I was eating at I found $50 CAD. I was not sure what to do, I was walking from the Easter buffet plate of food in hand and there it was sitting on the carpet, a $50 dollar bill! I stood there a bit stunned and then bent down and picked it up, half expecting a bunch of folks to be diving for it at the same time. No one noticed anything, no one said anything, no one reacted in any way. A very strange thing, I have never found $50 before.

I would have given it back to the person who lost it, but how do you do that exactly? There were over 100 people in that very crowded room. The bill looked like any other bill, no wallet, no identification. It is not like I saw it falling out of someones pocket. I could not hold it up and ask anyone if they lost it. The money was just there not he carpet looking up at me.

After I picked it up and shuffled unsure back to my table I kept looking back over the next hour to that area to see if anyone was looking on the floor for anything. Nothing happened, no one seemed to have lost anything.

I feel lucky to have found $50 but also feel guilty about taking the money. I wish I could have given it back to the unlucky person who lost it. Hopefully that person was not in too desperate shape financially. A poor person losing $50 and a rich person losing $50 are two different things.