Monday, March 30, 2015

Photo Idea: "Ladyboy"

I have been reading about the work of Lisette Model and Diane Arbus and thought of another photographic idea. This would be number 1001 on the list. A series of head shots shot with the blad and ring flash at night outdoors of ladyboy sex workers. Not sure what I would call the series, possibly the simple title "Ladyboy".

I want the work to have a wild dynamic to it, strong harsh flash printed contrasty with wild expressions and looks. Too much of my portraiture is rather boring, I want to spice things up a bit. I need the viewer to be taken aback, make them a bit confused, maybe even surprised and slightly shocked.

Ladyboy workers on the street can be aggressive, suspicious or even drugged, so it might be a bit dicey. Ladyboys in Thai are more commonly involved in crimes (as compared to female workers).  I will have to build relationships and most likely pay for the portraits. Giving out a bit of money for a 10 minute photo session is no biggy. It will get me lots more people to photograph and it is respectful to the person who poses, their time is valuable. I have found that most ladyboys love to be photographed, the key as with all people is to treat them with kindness and respect. What you give out usually comes back to you, if your kind and happy then they end up being kind and happy.

Update* I need to come up with a better title for this possible series!"Butterfly: The Ladyboys Of Thailand" ??