Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Dad "Pain" Photo

Here is the second attempt at yesterdays scanned negative. I printed it very contrasty to start with, this is with a grade 3 1/2 filter and the Durst 1200 condenser enlarger. My next attempt will be at grade 3, this version is strong but maybe a bit to stark looking. It is certainly a very interpretive approach to the negative.

The most difficult thing about printing this negative was the fogging in the upper right corner. I was doing burns wide open at like 300+ seconds and still getting white there. Then I thought why not flash it? So I masked off the rest of the print then flashed the corner with a small flashlight 3 different times for short intervals as I moved the masking around a bit. To my surprise it actually seemed to have worked and I did not have to spend 10 minutes holding and moving a burn card.

The more work you do in the dark, the better your techniques get. You can learn something new thats effective even after all these years of printing. No rules when it comes to tools, techniques folks, the final print is what matters. If it works it works, nuff said.

I will try to print and dry this sample 11x14 photo and show it to dad tomorrow.

Here is the 2nd attempt print:

Note* the digi detail shot lacks the depth of sharpness in the original print.

Dad in Pain version #2, February 2015
Detail of my fathers face