Monday, January 5, 2015

Don't Be A Drunken Jack Rabbit!!

After looking at some of the prints before secondary printing I think I will need to do some reprinting. At least 2 of the important earlier printed negs seem a bit to dark. I think this is again the result of something I call "Drunken Jumpin Jack Rabbit Photographer Syndrome."

"Drunken Jumpin Jack Rabbit Photographer Syndrome" = When a photographer can never make up his mind what tools he wants to use to tell his stories. He changes out films, developers, photo paper, cameras, lens constantly. He is like a dazed and drunken jack rabbit jumping randomly about in panic and confusion, unsure of his tools and process. He never learns all of anything only a bit of this and parts of that. Because he (or she) are unsure of his tools, and process his work sucks. He can never see beyond the average in his photography because he just does not know his trade well enough.

Today I read a blog story from a photographer I have known for a long time. In the blog he writes that he is going to continue testing for a film-developer combinations. Turns out his current developer is not good enough so he is switching and testing yet again. This man is nearing 60 and has been photographing seriously for many decades (at least 3 maybe 4) but still has not made up his mind in regards to his photography tools (many films, developers, lens, cameras etc). He jumps around through countless films and developers, never satisfied, testing and testing and then testing some more. How can he make effective photographs, if he does not understand or make a final choice with his tools? It's completely ridiculous and wasteful to be testing and retesting for decades upon decades.

He has become artistically stuck, forever caught in the sands of photography, spinning his wheels, not moving forward or back. When you follow that path you never really make any progress as an artist, you instead become an expert at graphs and tech crap while your work is common and mediocre. Choose what works then move on, make photos, make photos and make more photos. Simple! End of story!! I think what he has a problem understanding is that it is not testing, not this film or that film, or the science of photography that makes great work. Who gives a flying f-ck what developer you use, or what kind of camera or lens. It is the artist, the creative heart and mind behind that camera that makes the work special.

Simplification is the key to most all great artists and their works. Some photographers I think enjoy the toys more than the final results. They are in it not for the art, the final photograph etc. but instead are doing photography for the science or for the toy gizmo gadget playing.

I did the same thing, made the same mistake with these early show prints. I wanted to save money so used up some of my older paper from different manufactures. Because I was using tools I only knew a bit I over printed, I screwed up. If I had used the paper I know and love best throughout this printing process (Ilford warm tone fibre) then I would not need to do the reprints I need to do now. I know the Ilford warm tone fibre paper and how it responds so I would simply not have overprinted. Know your tools folks, know your fricken tools!

A word of advice to all photographers, choose your tools then move on!! Do not be the drunken jack rabbit like I and many photographers I know are. If you simplify, you can make great photographs. You will get beyond the hordes of photo folks that simply like to buy stuff and play with shiny toys. Those types can never decide what they want to say or how they want to say it, don't be one of them! Don't be the dude still unsure of his tools when he is turning 60.

I need to pull myself out of this dark drunken rabbit closet. Once I use up my existing supplies of paper its only Ilford warm and cool tone fibre for me. With film it  has only been Tri-x for years and years (not an issue), with 2 developers Rodinal for pushing and D-76 for normal exposed. With cameras I still have lots of issues, I need to limit myself to one brand per format size.

"Drunken Jumpin Jack Rabbit Photographer Syndrome!!!!" Be gone! I banish you from my life!!

Rant over : )) I feel better now.