Monday, January 5, 2015

Dad Going Downhill

Visited dad today, he is very depressed and down. Mom and I are trying our best to keep his spirits up. I told him about my day, my work week, tried to get him to talk, took him some chocolates. I told him more about the coming show, some of the things that were going right and wrong. Talked of TV shows he liked and other topics I thought might interest him. Even told him of my recent illness and the problems I had. That got a response as dad always worries about his kids. I tried to encourage him to fight on. Not sure any of this is doing any good. I do not blame dad it must be the hardest thing there is to being going through what is happening to him now. He has lost so many of the freedoms and abilities we all take for granted. It makes me wonder if I should be trying to keep him here longer than he wants to stay, am I being selfish for wanting him to stay at all costs. I need to put dads interests first, not my own selfish wants and needs.

Not sure how much time left we have with him. I will go visit dad again tomorrow and try to cheer him up. Wish I could do anything to make him a bit happier, just for a little while longer. If I could give him good health for one more year and give up one of mine, the ability to walk and to work (what he loves most) I would but such things are beyond our powers.