Saturday, December 20, 2014

Quotes: Elie Wiesel

Remembering and speaking of his time in Auschwitz concentration camp and afterwards.

"But I have moral philosophies. I don't think I should accept other people's suffering because I suffered. Just the opposite, because I suffered I don't want others to suffer."

Explaining his use of anger:

"The anger here is in me. Hate, not. I'm against hatred. I write and I teach and my goal is in both cases to sensitize the reader or the student."

"Therefore, I believe anger must be a catylyst. When am I angry? When I witness injustice, and I feel helpless. That's when I'm angry. I'm helpless. I went to all the places in the world. Mainly children, children in the arms of their mothers and both are starving. And I can't do anything except use my words to shout. That's when I'm angry."