Wednesday, December 10, 2014

New Copycat Backpack

Picked up a new backpack from China today, hope it does the job, the cost was $77 CAD including shipping. I want the bag to be able to carry all my 5x7 holders plus extras like small digital, notebooks, spot meter, and the reflector (in laptop compartment?). I will carry the Linhof 5x7 metal camera closed mounted on its tripod separately by hand. I think having a backpack might be an easier way to than a shoulder bag. When I was doing the Klong Toey portraits with the 4x5 Linhof a few years back I used a shoulder bag and that was quite difficult. I am hoping this copycat National Geographic bag will distribute the weight better.

I now have a China copy cat bag for all my Leica gear (still waiting on it) and a copycat bag totally devoted to my large format 5x7 equipment. Another bonus to this backpack is it has large pockets on either side for water bottles.  If needed I should able to carry up to 4-6 bottles of water with me, 2-4 in the bag side pockets (not sure how many will fit) and 2 in my pant pockets. I need to start carrying extra water bottles with me, especially if I stay in the field for longer than 6 hours. Thailand is extremely hot and sun stroke, dehydration, can and does happen.

I might try using this bag as a carry on airplane bag to transport all my 35mm and 5x7 film to Asia. The backpack also holds a laptop which is convenient. Taking my laptop with me next trip would make time spent in airports and planes less painful, thou I am worried about the added weight. For a short trip I would try to do without the laptop but if it is a 6 month trip or longer I would take it with me.

National Geographic NG W5071 Medium Rucksack Backpack