Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Link: Photography On Sex Workers Of Thailand

Found another link to the sex worker photos someone put online on Tumbler, possibly a University professor. I remember for years as I was shooting the worker images my friends from various photo groups told me that I should try photographing other subjects that doing the sex worker portraits was getting redundant. It is kind of strange to see that work is now the most respected online, whether it's Slate.com, PhotoNOLA in New Orleans or the latest which was DNA magazine out of Pakistan. Everyone is posting or wanting to show the sex worker portraits.

I should have taken the club members advice with a large grain of salt, the photo work in clubs tends to be limited in scope. It is important to listen to others but it is also important to only take advice from the right folks at the right time in your career. Following the wrong advice can affect things negatively. Sometimes as Robert Frost says its important to take the road less travelled and not just photograph the exact same things as everyone else.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
(Robert Frost)

In one way I am happy I left photographing in the sex worker world. I was able to recharge my batteries but I feel the need now to go back and make more pics those folks. Experience, renewed interest and online support are pushing me again in that direction.

Here is the Tumbler link posted in October 2014 possibly by Professor M Weiss of Wesleyan University

http://intimacy-exchange.tumblr.com/post/100167634419/gerry-yaum-photography-on-sex-workers-of-thailand