Saturday, December 27, 2014

Got My Copycat Backpack

I went to the post office and picked up my copycat Chinese made National Geographic backpack today. At first I thought I had made a mistake but after playing with it a bit a pocket I thought might be to small to hold 5x7 film holders should be able to hold 10-12. This item should allow me to do my 5x7 large format portrait work in Asia as planned. The backpack has a secondary pocket that can hold 5 or so holders and a third smaller pocket for 1 or 2 lens and a spot meter. I am not sure I can carry my reflector but I just might be able to as well. The side pockets should can hold 2 extra bottles of water for those very hot long days in the dump and elsewhere. The bag is large enough to do the job and small enough to not be to much of a burden. I think carrying all this gear in a backpack instead of a shoulder back will help distribute the weight more evenly helping to reduce back pain.

This just might work out very well! I now have everything I need to create portraits in Asia, all the gear, bags, meters, film etc. I also have the drive and desire to get this done. I just hope I can convert what I feel in my heart to film. I also need to get in better condition to handle the physical challenges ahead.

Things are coming together nicely.

Update: I did a bit more playing with the bag. I can get 15 5x7 holders in the main pocket and also carry a small round reflector in the laptop pocket. I am not sure if I can carry my larger reflector but will give that a try in the coming days. I also need to see if it can carry my small harrison changing tend and extra film boxes. If I can carry them then I can change film in the field. With 15 holders that gives me 30 photos, so that will probably be enough for a days shooting. It would be nice thou to have the ability to change film holders in the field.