Sunday, December 14, 2014

AGA Photography Visit

Today I went to the Alberta Gallery of Art (AGA) and viewed a ton of photography. Initially I was impressed with the work on display, but after viewing the exhibitions in whole 3 or 4 times I realized there was more quantity than quality on display. Still all in all in photography malnourished Edmonton the exhibitions are worth viewing. I will probably go back and visit these photographs 2 or 3 more times. With my annual membership there is no additional cost to me. When I am in that sort of environment, I have time to contemplate my own work. Today for example I saw the value of printing pictures smaller than 8x10 and displaying horizontal compositions in larger vertical frames.

What I did like today included work by Orest Semchishen, George Webber and Edward Burtynsky. I felt that Semichishen's photos was the most compelling. I have seen his photographs many times and enjoy the intimacy he is able to capture. My favourite shot this time around was made inside a teenagers bedroom, the composition included a bed with a dozen or so movie posters on the wall behind it. The main problem I have with Mr Semichishen's photos is the coldness of his printing style, everything seems too cool, many highlights blown out  and with limited detail in other print areas. There is a coldness and distance to his style that works sometime but also leaves you wanting at others. Still all in all he is a compelling and important photographer who documented the province of Alberta in the 70s and 80s.

Hopefully in the future the AGA will show more modern photographers. They seem to be caught in a time warp showing the same Canadian photogs over and over again, Burtynsky, Karsh, Semchisen, Webber, Semchuk. They need to add more modern folks to their exhibitions with work that dates post 2000. Why not do something a bit daring, Karsh, Burtynsky et all are so traditional, so  by the books, in their subject matter and styles. Why not strike deep and exhibit something daring? Then maybe the AGA could correct some of their money problems, I keep reading how they are losing money year after year. Obviously what they are doing now ain't working, time to try something new. They need to show some balls and take some chances. Playing it safe is putting everyone to sleep.

Here is the AGAs current exhibition lineup:

http://www.youraga.ca/current/