Monday, November 17, 2014

Starting To Like Poetry

I have never read much poetry before but a week back I got some books from the library and have been studying various poets. I am sort of going through a self taught history of poets. I quite like the ambiguity, familiarity and beauty of poetry, I seem to be able to relate to so much of it, no matter when it was written or by whom. It is beguiling, and addictive.

Photographer Daido Moriyama said this about photography, but it can be applied to poems as well.

"I think the most important thing that photography can do is to relate both the photographer and the viewers memories."

"At first sight a photograph looks straightforward as it slices off a scene or a moment in time. But the images that photography captures are actually ambiguous. And it's because of this ambiguity that I like photography."