Friday, October 17, 2014

Mistake?

Not sure I should have done this but I bought another camera. It is a point and shoot film camera that cost $950 USD (over $1100 CAD). This might be a big mistake, not sure just yet. I think if I make 1 great picture of 10 or so good pictures with it I can rationalize it away but right now, am not sure I did the right thing.

The camera is the Ricoh GR-21, it has a world class 21mm F3.5 lens on it. The lens is made by Leica and was so revered by those who used it that it came out as a separate lens that could be used with Leica range finder cameras. I learned about this camera when I was studying the work of Daido Moriyama, he used it to create many iconic photographs. The camera I bought is in NICE shape and in 100% working condition. I will probably shoot a lot of pushed 800ASA Tri-x with this latest tool.

Now for the rationals for this expensive maybe silly purchase.

- I can carry it in my pocket and use it at dads funeral.
- I can carry it anywhere use it quickly and easily.
- I can use it to create lots of big grain, higher contrast, more abstract fun work.
- I want to make non traditional composed work, happy accidents and quick haphazard choice looks.
- It has a 21mm lens, the only film point and shoot around that has.
- I got it at a reasonable price (believe it or not) it runs around $1495 mint, mine was originally listed at $1080 USD. I was able to get the seller to come down in price, probably because its a film camera.
-  The seller is from Japan, where they take care of their camera gear. Hopefully this unit will last me many years, maybe the rest of my life.
- I hope the camera will completely free up my shooting and allow me to freely flow and create more emotion and feeling in my photographs. I want what I feel in my heart to be able to translate quickly and easily into a picture.

The underlying motivation was to have a camera I could carry in my pocket when I say goodbye to dad. I might also be able to use it in the bars of Asia to be less conspicuous. The great sharp beautiful extremely wide lens was a big selling point as well. Still it all came down to having a camera to say goodbye to dad with, that was my number one motivation for the purchase.

A Ricoh GR-21, not mine.