Friday, October 10, 2014

Getting Outside My Comfort Zone

To make great photographs you have to put yourself into the proper place at the proper time. I do to much shooting inside my comfort zone of Bangkok Thailand. I need to spread out to other countries, other cities. The strongest photos I have made over the last 10 years are because I put myself into the proper locations to make photographs.

My friend Larry is excellent at placing himself into the proper situations to have the chance to create great work (which he does). All the top documentary photographers in history have been able to place themselves into the proper situations to create important work. When you are in those worlds your surrounded by picture opportunities, being surrounded by strong visuals helps you make a visual story ( a photograph) much more convincingly, with more power and vision.

I need to shoot subjects I am absolutely passionate about and place myself into those locations to tell those stories to their greatest effect. I need to push myself into, more difficult, possibly more dangerous but also more visual situations. If I can tell the important stories about the lives of forgotten people more effectively then that's all that matters, everything will work itself out.