Monday, September 8, 2014

Started Printing The Show

Well it took me most of the week off but I finally started printing the show tonight. I spent the earlier part of the week searching through negs and scanning one photograph (two Burmese brothers portrait) to use as the signature picture for the show. I have not found all the negs I want to print but do have 7 or 8 read to go. Tonight the last night of my week off I started working on the first show print, a 16x20 archival fibre photo of three children in the dump. The 15 photos I will print for the show from the dump series will all be photographs of the children who work and live there. I wanted to print the shot below because it sets up the environment, the children live in. This wider image will help tell the larger "Children of the Dump" story. You can see the garbage as well as some of the housing in the upper right corner. The photograph is grainy and has a limited depth of field but I think it should print well. It has many of the characteristics I love about film, and especially 35mm Tri-x printed large.

Tonight the printing has started I have about 4 months and 3 weeks to print 20 photographs. 15 from "Children of the Dump" and 5 from  "Dads Last Days". Larry and his wife Joanna are helping me with this group show, I am riding a bit on their coat tails here. I need to do a first class job with the printing. I want to try to make world class traditional darkroom photographs.

Three children in Mae Sot garbage dump, May 2013 Thailand