Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Letter From Mother Teresa

I have been studying the work of Boston Globe photojournalist and documentary photographer Stan Grossfeld. This letter from Mother Teresa was in the forward of his powerful book "Lost Futures: Our Forgotten Children". The book is available used with shipping for around $13 CAD, I bought my copy last week.

Lost Futures: Our Forgotten Children on Amazon.ca

"WHATEVER YOU DO TO THE LEAST OF MY BRETHREN, YOU DO IT TO ME."

Dear Mr. Grossfeld,

Thank you for your kind letters and the pictures you used for the book. Lost Futures: Our Forgotten Children. The pictures speak for themselves.

Every child is a gift of God, loved into being, infinitely precious to God, created for greater things: to love and be loved.

Yet so many are forgotten, abandoned, abused, made to suffer the most unimaginable pain in their souls and bodies. I have looked into the eyes of children--some shining with hunger, some dull and vacant with pain. I have held countless babies in my arms--dying for lack of a little milk, some medicine. And why does this happen? Why?

These children are my brother, my sister, my child. If there is such terrible suffering for children in the world today, it is because men and women have forgotten to pray, to thank God who is the Author of Life for the precious gift of life.

Men and woman today are afraid of the little child. Will there be enough food? Will there be enough water for all? Will there be enough space? Let us begin by loving the little child. And love to be true must cost us. God has made a world big enough for all children. If the rich were more willing to share with the poor, to give up a little bit of luxury, some little pleasure--that new TV set, latest car, vacation--need the child be exploited, abused, or die of hunger?

The children in these pictures speak to us. They urge us to pray.

I assure you of my prayer that your work for the children of the world, with God's blessing, may bear fruit in a happier and more hopeful future for children everywhere.

Let us pray.
God bless you,
Mother Terersa

Photo by Stan Grossfeld