Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Got The Durst Condenser Head Working!

I got the Durst condenser head working a few minutes ago. With the stuff Jack sent me I placed the Femocon 50 and 80 condensers in combination along with a recessed lens board and the Durst 1200 condenser head and now everything is working A-OK!! It did not take long to set up once I had all the parts, maybe 20 minutes. All the years of enlarger experience plus a bit of research online in the last few weeks made everything go fast.

I also put together 2 negative carriers, one a glassless carrier with special metal inserts for 35mm and one a glass carrier. My third carrier needs a bit of maintenance, I will take it to work next week and fix it up. First I had no carriers, now I have 3, go figure!

Will take a nap and then start printing with the condenser enlarger tonight. They make the claim in the manual that the condenser enlarger is prints the sharpest photo and has more contrast. I think the contrast thing is true but not sure about their sharpness claim. I gues I will find out.

I had to set up a whole shelf area for my extra enlarger lens. I have another 7 set up on various enlargers as well. Not sure what the total number of enlarger lens I own now, probably around 30-35. The new ones I am most excited by are a 240mm Rodenstock for the 8x10 enlarger a new slightly different style 50mm El Nikkor 2.8 and a 60mm Rodenstock (cannot find a workable lens board for it yet). I will work with all these new lens and find out which works best and move on from there. I also now own 2 of those triple lens rotating boards for the Durst 5x7 and 8x10 as well as 2 more single lens boards for the same machines.

To many options I could definitely open up a second or even a third darkroom with no problems, I have enough gear to do that quite easily. It is always good to have backups as things break quite often. Recently I broke my Saunders 4x5 glass carrier and now I have one for my Durst 4x5. I also was able to cut down some extra 6x6 filters to 4 5/8 by 4 5/8. Having backups is always a good thingy.

Update: I forgot to mention another wonderful lens Jack gave me, a 135mm El-Nikkor. I now have 2-50mm, a 80mm, 2-105mm, 135mm, 150mm, 210mm and 240mm versions of this wonderful enlarging lens. I love both the enlarger and view camera Nikon lens, they are my overall favourites. When I make view camera photos I shoot a 150mm Nikon with my 4x5 and used a 300mm Nikon for all my sex worker on white pics. So the Nikon lens are on both ends of the process for me.

Durst 1200 condenser enlarger with peak grain longer neck focuser.
Shelf with some of my enlarger lens, got a ton of these things now.