Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Darkroom Calling, Time To Answer

Enough gear talk, time to make some prints. I have been loaded down with yard work at both my house and my fathers over the last few days. I need to get into the darkroom and start printing! I would much rather spend 12 hours in the dark versus 6 hours of loading branches into a truck and cleaning up dried up gardens.

Things are coming together slowly thou. I have a bunch of negs for printing, I have my enlargers set up and I have things more organized in my mind. A big part of all shows is figuring out exactly what you want to say and the best way to say it. My friend Larry is helping me in this regard. So many photo people in Edmonton take a lazy ass come see come saw (“Comme ci, comme ca” ) attitudes toward photography.  They could care less if it is done or not, most would rather have a scotch or socialize for days before eventually getting around to the photo stuff. Or they do the old excuse thingy as to why they are not creating or printing or whatever, there is always a reason why they are not making pics.

It is good to be around hardcore folks who push you in the right direction. I can get lazy or distracted also so having people like Larry and the other few other hardcore photo people I know is a good thing. It is positive peer pressure thingy versus the negative kind. Being with folks who put photography 1st or 2nd not 7th or 8th is always a good thing. It is hard to find those type folks but when you do its a win win all around. When you do you become a better photographer.

Now I got to stop the talking, writing and whining, no more pussy footing around, lets spend extended periods in the dark! If your looking for me I will be the fellow in the smelly room, under the romantic red light covered in Dectol, see you later alligator!