Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I Cut Down My Filters!

I cut down some 6x6 filters to fit my Durst 1200 condenser head, OUCH! I had to cut down the 6x6 filters to 4 5/8x 4 5/8 to fit the filter draw on the head. I hated doing it but that is one of the advantages of having backups. I had 2 Ilford 6 inch by 6 inch filter box sets and also 2 Agfa 6x6 sets (in nice protective booklets). Once I remembered where I had hidden the filter backups I was set to go. Out came the cutter and waullau I had filters that fit the filter draws. I decided to go with a set of the Agfa filters first.

Luckily the filter drawer on my 5x7 condenser enlarger that I also got from Jack free uses the same size filters, so I if I do not use this 1200 condenser head for every day use I can still use my MUTILATED filters in the 5x7 machine. I am not sure how much if any difference there is between the Agfa and Ilford filter sets but if need be I can cut down my Ilford back up set as well. The Agfa product seems to be made on thicker less delicate plastic, which makes extensive handling a bit easier. Will give the Agfa set a run through, if I notice no differences I will just use them for all multi-contrast papers.

Going to try the condenser head for the first time after I eat some supper. My one concern is that the bulb does not seem super bright. I might switch to the colour head for b/w printing for that single reason. Even if I do switch I think the condenser head with the #5 filter will work best for max contrast on some of my more abstract photos (Daido Moriyama's influence). I believe the combination of the condenser and the #5 filter will give more contrast than the colour head at maximum magenta. I might try this super high contrast look on one of dads pics for the show.

Booklet of cut down Agfa filters for the Durst 4x5 and 5x7 condenser enlargers.