Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Dad Tonight

Dad is OK with me continuing to photograph him so I will make pictures as long as he is comfortable with them. I bought him a hamburger 2 days ago but he only ate a quarter of it, yesterday I asked him if there is anything I could buy for him to eat or drink and he said no. I got to try to find something he will eat, his appetite is very poor probably because of all the medication, morphine etc. He has lost to much weight so quickly, but he is still walking with the help of a walker.

I like the look of film better in black and white than the digital stuff I have done so far. I feel especially comfortable with Tri-x and the Leica's. Shooting one film has helped me a lot. When you shoot multiple films your like a drunken jack rabbit bouncing around aimlessly, but when you get to really learn a single film you know what the photographs are going to look like before they are developed and printed. I think I have reached that level with my Tri-x and Leicas, I can pre-see the finished shot in my minds eye.

All the 35mm pics below were made with a 50mm 1.4 lens and a Leica M6. The room was very dark, I shot at 800ASA with the lens set at f1.4 and the shutter around 1/15 or 1/30. The film received 2 hour stand development in Rodinal diluted 1/50.

Even when Tri-x is out of focus or has very shallow focus like these f1.4 shots there is a grittiness and strength to the images thats very unique.

Leica M6 with 50mm  F1.4 and Tri-x 800ASA


Dad last night, ring flash with hasselblad and Tri-x