Friday, July 4, 2014

Photo Story: Motorcycle Taxi Drivera Home Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok Thailand 2010

This photograph was made in the home of a motorcycle taxi driver in Klong Toey slum.The head shot of the man on the left is the driver, it was made before he suffered serious burns in a fire. The driver lived in this small shack on the railway tracks in the slum, with his wife and his young baby. When I offered money for the baby who was sick so they could visit a doctor he turned down the money, he told me that he and his wife both worked and did not need it. The vest in the picture is what motorcycle taxi drivers use when they are on the job in Bangkok. The small Buddhist shrine is common to all Thai homes as is the picture on the right of male family members as monks. Most Thai males spend part of their youth or early adulthood as a monk.

I would like to visit him again but I forget exactly where the home is, maybe I am going to the area at the wrong time of day, the family is probably working. I remember I photographed him on a Sunday so I might try visiting the area on a Sunday next trip so we can restart our relationship. I would very much like to get to know him and his family better, a good, honest hard working man.

I think of his small one room home and family often, you realize how lucky you are when you see the standard of living many people must live in. My home which is considered old and a bit run down by Edmonton Canada standards would be an absolute luxary mansion for this family.

Leica M6 with 28mm lens and direct flash on Tri-x (200ASA).

Motorcycle  taxi drivers home Klong Toey slum, Bangkok Thailand 2010