Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Different Lives

My thoughts go back again and again to the people I photographed at the dump. Their lives in Thai are so different than my life here in Canada. Yesterday at work a women I work with threw out her entire dinner when a single fly landed on the food. I think back to my time in the dump, to the thousands of flies there that hover and crawl all over everything. They are in the garbage, then on you, then on your food, on your children, in your home, they are everywhere all the time. I remember at one point when I was in mid dump in the garbage counting 40 flies on my arms, chest, hands, legs.

What different lives we live here in Canada, one fly and the food is in the garbage. In the dump in Thai the food with the the flies on it is often taken out of the garbage. I need to get back to those people, and continue to tell the stories of those lives. The art expert grant and gallery people might think their story is not worthy but I do, and I will continue to try to tell it.

Young boy walking in the dump 1"Families of the Dump" Series, Thailand 2013