Friday, June 6, 2014

The Cost Of Bulk Film

Kodak jacked their prices yet again. The current cost for Tri-x 35mm bulk (100 foot roll) is $99.95 USD out of BandH in New York. One hundred dollars a canister, imagine that! Ilford HP5 sells for $59.95 USD, that's a fricking $40 difference. I am glad I have a 5 plus maybe 10 year supply of Tri-x because I am not sure I will be buying any more new stuff. I might be able to get some outdated film now and again but at $100 American for 100 feet it might be priced out of my budget.

Like Jock Sturges told me HP5 is a good film, use that. I love Tri-x but my days of buying it new might be over. I can make important photos with HP5 as well, and I can make 40% more photos at the same cost. With a 40% cushion I should have a few more printable negs.

This is all years in the future of course as I have tons of 35mm, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 Tri-x and I just bought 110 rolls of their 120 version. I have over 100 of those rolls left for the next Thai trip.

Update* Just did a calculation. At the current B&H prices a bulk roll of Tri-x is $99.95. A single film of Tri-x is $4.79. In one bulk roll you get 18 or 19 tolls of film. So for 18 films you would pay $86.22 or  for 19 films $91.01. It cost more to do it yourself and you have to worry about scratches and film canisters popping open, go figure! Why buy the bulk?

They must have raised the bulk roll prices first (typical Kodak confusion), the prepackaged stuff will be next, $6 a roll? $7? Heck if I sold all my frozen Tri-x I could probably make quite a profit, maybe I could buy a Thai condo with it!