Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sold Another Workshop, Number 11

I should be having another workshop in the coming weeks. Stu a great guy and a student that took my other 2 courses is taking this 3rd one,  my advanced darkroom workshop. I just started up the this workshop a few weeks ago this will be the first time I am teaching it, it includes:

How to make burning masks.
How to use contrast for best effect.
Advanced burning and dodging.
Burning at different contrast grades.
Use of different developers and papers to change the look of your print.
Selenium and sepia toning of a print.
Spotting a print.
Bleaching of a print.
Archival processing of a print.
Archival washing of a print.
Archival drying of a print. 

I expect this workshop to last at least 4 hours, maybe 5. It's a one on one training session and costs $180. I do not make a lot of money off these things, my normal darkroom workshop is $100 and my view camera workshop is $120 but its great to talk and teach photography. It's much more enjoyable making money teaching photography than it is working security night shifts. Plus its fun to talk and get something for it, I am not used to that sort of thing, you talk for a while and then people give you money! Another benefit is you learn when you teach, which will hopefully help me grow as an artist. All the money I receive goes directly back into my photography. I will use these funds as always to buy more film and or photo paper.

If I ever get another show the photo paper to produce it will be funded by these workshops.

Update* Stu also wants me to teach him how to make wetplate photos (tintypes). I have takin a workshop and have some experience at the wet plate process but I am far from an expert. I also have all the chemicals and tools necessary in my darkroom. I would have to figure out a price it would have to be quite a bit more than what I charge for standard workshops. Who knows it might become the latest workshop in my stable, 3 moving up to 4, "Learn Wetplate Photography!" 

Making a bit of extra money on this will also help inspire me to dig out all the gear and chemicals again. I just don't seem to have time to do everything I want photographically but I need to get back into making wetplates soon. Now with my cleaned up darkroom I might actually have room to work! I want to learn how to do the wetplate exposures onto a postive material (have the name written somewhere) from a negative through an enlarger. I want to be able go, negative (enlarger)---> postive material---> postive material (enlarger)--->tinytpe or ambrotype. If I do the "Lost Innocence" series I want to be able to do the final exhibition photos this way.