Thursday, June 12, 2014

Smaller Limited Editions

When I went over to Jack's tonight I heard how he was able to sell a limited edition print of 3 for $25000, frisking amazing. He has sold all 3 from that image, not sure who much the first 2 went for. Imagine that selling a print for 25 grand, that's almost half of my Thai condo for 1 photograph.

I have been thinking of the way Jack has limited editions of 3 prints, I currently have limited editions of 40. 40 now strikes me as way to large. There is no chance in hell I am going to sell 40 photographs of any one neg, I have trouble selling 1 fricking photo of any neg. Maybe I should think about doing limited editions of 5, 10 or maybe 20 photographs for each size of 11x14, 16x20 and 20x20. I  probably eliminate the 8x10 size from my future editions.

It is something to think about, I can incorporate it into the next website design. Editions of 10 sound about right, it gives you the chance to sell a few if you take something great but also gives the buyer that knowledge that he by buying a print he has 10% of the total that will ever be printed in that size. This of course is all a bit silly, planning for something that's probably not happening, lowering my limited edition numbers for prints that do not sell! Now I plan to not sell 1 of 10 instead of not selling 1 of 40.  Heck I could hand out my prints free and people would use them at the bottom of birdcages. Still 10 seems a more manageable number. Theoretically those that have bought prints from me already in the 40 print editions will have a more valuable piece as not more than 10 will be printed of their photo now.