Sunday, June 15, 2014

Photo Story: Mother Feeding Son In Garbage Dump, Mae Sot Thailand 2013

This photograph was made with a Leica M6 and probably a 28mm lens on Tri-x at 200 ASA. I came across this scene while photographing a group of dump workers. When I looked up on top of a hill of garbage I saw this mother in a temporary lean-two type structure feeding her son. I think the mother and father were working together and she went up top to feed the child. The young boy sat in the lean and waited later on when the mother came down to work. It was such a strange thing to see such a loving moment of a mother caring for her child while sitting in the garbage surrounded by the noise, the flies and the oppressive heat of the dump. The photograph was made in May of 2013 and it was extremely hot, I have never been so hot in my life. I would easily go through 2 bottles of water and be quite dehydrated after shooting for 4 or 5 hours with the families.

This photograph demonstrates what I love about photographing in the "Families of the Dump"series. The strength of the family group and the love of a mother for her child. Even while living in the oppressive and extremely difficult situations these Burmese families show the  best traits of humanity. Now if I can get just this series exhibited and seen, I could tell their important stories.

Mother feeding her young boy in garbage dump, Mae Sot Thailand 2013