Monday, June 9, 2014

More Free Stuff

My photography friend Jack is giving out some more free stuff today. I think I should be able to use most of it now, or if not now I will use it in the future. I believe there will be 2 free metal closet cabinets I can use for storing my neg binders. A bunch of darkroom trays which are always useful as these things break down over time. The last possible items are Durst enlargers. There is a 4x5 1200 chasse (no head) and 1 maybe 2 5x7 Durst enlargers. With all the 5x7 negs I plan on shooting in Thai in the coming years a 5x7 enlarger could be very useful. Not sure if these unit(s) are condenser enlargers, table units or stand alone machines.

If I do get the 5x7 today from Jack I plan on a big reorganization of my darkroom space to allow another enlarger into the room. The 5x7 would give me 6 enlargers in the darkroom, another 2 in my garage and 1 ancient one in dads garage, good thing I love my darkroom work!! If I set up a second rental darkroom I can put all the garaged machines into that space. This second darkroom would also be a great place for my new photo group friends to meet and print.

I might be able to use this new-used 5x7 enlarger for another purpose. I believe these machines are capable of projecting on walls to make very large prints, they have a twisting head that allows for wall projections. I probably could print super large prints from all my different neg formats. I will have to see if any of this is possible when I go to pick up the new stuff in a few hours. Free is always great, and anything that helps me make better pictures I am all for! Thanks again Jack for your generosity.

Here is a list of the enlargers that will be in the darkroom if I add the 5x7.

1) Saunders LPL 4x5 with multigrade head (main enlarger);
2) Durst 4x5 450 colour head enlarger.
3) Saunders LPL 4x5 wall mounted with color head enlarger.
4) Omega 4x5 condensor enlarger.
5) Durst 8x10 colour head enlarger.
6) Durst 5x7 enlarger.